WEDNESDAY 14TH SEPT.,2016
TOPIC: THE REWARD OF CONFRONTATION
TEXT: PROV 3:11 “My Son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, nor detest His Correction….”
The Bible says, ‘Do not reject the Lord’s discipline, and don’t get angry when He corrects you. The Lord corrects those He loves, just as parents correct the child they delight in’ (vs. 11-12). In as much as God loves you, He deals with things He sees in your life that could potentially damage you and other people. The apostle Paul buttresses this nature of God; ‘Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God…’ (Romans 11:22). God will deal with you gently, but if you don’t listen He may have to deal with you severely as well. This is because; He has too much invested in you to let you fail. Not only does God confront us, He expects us to confront one another when we’re in the wrong. Paul stood up to Peter, his fellow leader, in front of Jewish and Gentile believers because the issue was important to their mission’s success (Galatians 2:14).
Healthy confrontation results in six things:
1) CLARIFICATION. You get a better understanding of the person and what happened.
2) CHANGE. Hopefully improvement will come from it—and the improvement may be in you!
3) AN IMPROVED RELATIONSHIP if handled correctly, confrontation will deepen your relationship with the other person(s)
4) PURITY. As word of correction and reproof get out, the organisation will be purified and sobered.
5) RESPECT. People will appreciate and respect your leadership even more.
6) SECURITY. They’ll feel safe knowing that you’re strong enough to take a stand when it counts. People want a leader who says, ‘When there’s a challenge I will deal with it directly, promptly, and respectfully in love. I will help correct the situation and get us back on track.’
MEDITATION: Psalms 94:10
STUDY THE BIBLE
JN 17; 2CHR 25; PS 82