WEDNESDAY 5TH JULY 2017
TOPIC: THE BENEFITS OF READING GOD’S WORD
TEXT: Jeremiah 15:16 (NKJV) Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.
God promises certain things to those who take time each day to get to know Him through His Word. Let’s look at some of them:
1) JOY. ‘When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, LORD God Almighty.’
2) STRENGTH. ‘Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified’ (Acts 20:32).
3) PEACE. ‘Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble’ (Psalm 119:165). ‘If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river’ (Isa 48:18).
4) STABILITY. ‘I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure’ (Psalm 16:8-9).
5) SUCCESS. ‘Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful’ (Joshua 1:8).
6) ANSWERED PRAYER. ‘If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you’ (John 15:7). Joy, strength, peace, stability, success, and answered prayer – these are the things everybody wants. In summary, one sure sign that we are children of God is an intense love for the inspired Word of God. These are the promises to us when we spend time with Him in His Word each day.
MEDITATION: Psalm 119:72
Josh 7, Ps. 137-138, Jer. 1, Matt. 15